
Genealogists spend much of their time searching for things that have been lost.
Missing records. Forgotten stories. Unmarked graves. Destroyed courthouses. Faded photographs.
We become accustomed to loss because loss is woven into the very fabric of family history research. Yet nothing prepared me for returning to a cemetery and discovering that the evidence I had once photographed had disappeared.
Ten years ago, I visited Green Hill Cemetery in Waynesboro, Pennsylvania, in search of several members of my husband's Harbaugh family.
Their tombstones had not originally stood there.
The family had first been buried in Old Union Cemetery adjacent to a church. In 1923, after the property changed ownership, the graves were disinterred and reinterred at Green Hill Cemetery. According to cemetery staff, efforts had been made to notify descendants through notices published in local newspapers. Whether family members living elsewhere ever learned of the move is unknown.
By the time I visited in 2016, the stones had already endured one relocation.
They were worn; no longer standing they were placed flat on the earth. I photographed each one carefully.
At the time, I viewed the images as routine documentation. Like many genealogists, I had become accustomed to photographing tombstones whenever I encountered them. The task felt important, but not urgent.
After all, the stones had already survived for more than a century. Surely they would remain there for future visitors. Or so I thought.
This summer, while returning from a genealogy conference, I decided to revisit Green Hill Cemetery. I wanted to see the stones again.
Perhaps I would notice details I had overlooked a decade earlier. Perhaps advances in photography would allow me to capture inscriptions more clearly. Perhaps I would simply enjoy reconnecting with ancestors whose stories I had spent years researching.
Instead, I found an absence.
The hillside where the stones had once stood had been altered. The markers were gone. Completely gone. For several moments I simply stared at the space where I expected them to be. Had I remembered the location incorrectly? Had the stones been moved again? Had they been damaged? Had they been placed in storage?
I had no answers.
The cemetery office was closed, leaving me with questions and a growing sense of unease.
What troubled me most was not simply that the stones were missing. It was the realization that physical evidence we often assume will remain forever can disappear without warning.
Genealogists sometimes treat cemeteries as permanent repositories of history. In reality, they are vulnerable places. Weather damages monuments. Trees fall. Floods occur. Maintenance priorities change. Ownership changes. Records are misplaced. Occasionally, markers simply vanish.
The experience reminded me of the countless records I have searched for over the years that no longer exist. Probate files that disappeared from courthouse shelves. Church registers lost to fire. Family Bibles discarded during estate sales. Letters thrown away by descendants who did not recognize their value.
Every generation inherits responsibility for preserving the evidence left behind by those who came before. Sometimes we fulfill that responsibility. Sometimes we fail.
Fortunately, I had photographed the stones during my earlier visit. What once seemed like routine documentation now feels considerably more important.
Those photographs preserve information that may no longer be accessible in the cemetery itself. That realization changed the way I think about every cemetery visit.
Take the photographs.
Record the inscriptions.
Capture the surrounding landscape.
Document the location.
Don't assume someone else already has.
Don't assume the information will still be there next year.
Most importantly, don't assume that stone is permanent simply because it has already survived for generations.
Family history exists in a delicate balance between remembrance and forgetting. As genealogists, we often focus on discovering the past. Perhaps an equally important task is preserving it.
The missing stones at Green Hill Cemetery reminded me that our ancestors' stories are not guaranteed to survive. Their preservation depends upon ordinary people who care enough to record them before they disappear.
Sometimes we search for evidence. Sometimes we become its last caretakers. And sometimes, without realizing it, the photograph we take today may become tomorrow's only surviving record.
No comments:
Post a Comment