Saturday, November 9, 2019

Those Overwhelming Hints

Did you wake up one day last month and discover thousands of Hints from Ancestry?  I thought their counter had gone ballistic - I had over 15,000 hints on my Main Tree.  I don't use Hints often as I prefer to search the card catalog for databases and then look for records so typically, I just click ignore on the Hint button weekly.  That way, if I ever want to research a particular individual, I can always go to that person's Hint page and then see what was found.

I soon discovered that the counter wasn't the problem, although it is still off by 1 in records and 4 in pictures.  What had happened, I suspect because of the new T.V. season, Ancestry unveiled the link to Newspapers.com Obituary Index and the U.S. Obituary Collection, 1930 +.  This resulted in the huge number of hints.

As I was deleting hints I had to laugh as two were for me - both pictures from my high school annual.  No hint appeared for my husband though, which makes me wonder about the formula they use to identify hints. A family member's high school photo appeared as a hint which was odd as that individual went to the same high school as my husband. 

Unfortunately, none of those new hints provided me any break through that I needed but definitely check out the new indexes as they might provide the clue you seek.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scan and Share

  AI Generated Recently I helped a community member scan old photos from the late 1800s to the 1950s, along with some school records, a...