Sunday, August 22, 2021

Genealogy Acts of Kindness or Scam?


Yesterday I received an Ancestry.com message from a woman in Ohio who had found a Bible that had a name that appears in my public tree - Landfair.  She said she would mail it to me if I would pick up the cost.  I was warned that the Bible was heavy.

Unfortunately, there are so many scams today how do you know if the offer is legit or not?  She provided a phone number.  I Googled it and it was for Ohio but not for her.  She had provided her first and last name and checking that out, she was a member of a genealogy organization to which I also belong.  She did live in the area where she reportedly found the Bible.

I first messaged her back on Ancestry but after several hours, she hadn't replied.  I decided to give her a call.  

I'm glad I took the risk...she was a sweet woman who said she finally was able to get out and enjoy an interest that she pursued BC (before covid) - reuniting found items to descendants.  She said she found my public tree first because I had the most citations for the family.  She also reached out to a few others who had the name in their tree.  

The oldest documented individual in the Bible was my first cousin three times removed.  I knew of a closer descendant so I texted the kind woman an email address and told her to mention my name. That individual lives close and would save the finder the issue of mailing.  

It was an absolutely important find for that line as there is NO marriage record to be found other than what was recorded in the Bible.  

Kudos to all of you wonderful people who spread genealogy acts of kindness!  

3 comments:

  1. lovely story, but I don't blame you for being cautious...glad it worked out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you reached out to learn more. It would be a shame for that Bible to be lost to the family forever.

    ReplyDelete

Scan and Share

  AI Generated Recently I helped a community member scan old photos from the late 1800s to the 1950s, along with some school records, a...