Sunday, August 13, 2017

Gedmatch How To



Since I last blogged I explored Gedmatch.  It was simple (and free!) to use and I highly recommend it.  Here's how:

  • First watch the Youtube video Gedmatch Basics.  There is no handout but you really don't need one.
  • I had already created an account on the site but if you haven't, you can make one as you're watching the video.
  • Once you've logged in to Gedmatch, look on the right side where you'll upload your DNA files.  I had one 23andMe and one Ancestry to upload and compare.  
  • If you're not sure how to get your DNA files, don't worry!  The video and the Gedmatch site will direct you to the provider and step you through downloading it to your computer and then uploading it to Gedmatch.
  • Now you're ready to analyze what you've uploaded.  Not all features are available immediately but that's okay, what you'll be most interested in is the 1 to Many which compared shared DNA to everyone who's uploaded on the site and the 1 to 1 which compares two people.  I was interested in 1 to 1 as I uploaded my son and my results.  
  • Your options to view the results are position, graph or position with graph.  I chose position with graph.  I like seeing the color comparison; my son preferred the position table only.  See the picture at the top as that shows what you'll see for position with graph.  The yellow denotes the match from person 1 to person 2 is half, the green are full matches.  There's a lot of green looking at all 22 chromosomes and the rest yellow as our relationship is mother-son.  
  • Check the bottom of the data to see the estimated relationship, how many segments matched and the largest matching segment.  
  • There are other analysis tools available which I haven't checked out.  I plan on doing that when I get my daughter tested as I'd like to compare her to my son.  
DNA offers continue this week - Ancestry and FTDNA both have promotions for $69.00. 

We're still waiting for hubby's results to be returned from 23andMe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cemetery Weather

  AI Generated Spring has sprung in the Midwest and last Saturday was the first cemetery walk of the year. The old cemetery in a small ...