Saturday, December 3, 2016

Genealogy Gift Ideas

Tis the Season to Merrily Spend!  Here's some things that I requested Santa get me this year:

  • A Stranger in My Genes by Bill Griffin.  I'd like the Kindle edition.
  • Genetic Genealogy in Practice by Blaine Bettinger.  I'd like the paperback edition.  Yes, it costs  a whole bunch more than the Kindle edition but I want to flag pages.  It's also one of my New Year's resolutions to learn as much as I can about DNA in 2017.  
  • Red Pens - I still underline relationship info with them.
  • Renew my memberships to my state and local society - they're due January 1st!
  • Register for the National Genealogical Society Conference that will be held in Raleigh, North Carolina May 9-13.  
  • A sterling silver charm shaped like a tree that I saw at a local art's festival.  
  • A package containing primary source documents for relationship of any of my numerous brick wall ancestors.  No preference of person!  I'd be thankful for any tidbit placed where I could find it.
If you're a Santa's helper and are looking for the perfect gift for the Genea in your life, here's some ideas:
  • A scanner.  Check out Flippal 
  • A jeweler's head magnifier to better read those records.  They start at $7.85 on Amazon.  I have a different model that came with interchangeable lenses that I love.
  • A genealogy mousepad
  • A genealogy license plate holder
  • A genealogy travel mug
  • A subscription to - Ancestry.com, MyHeritage.com, Fold3.com, Newspapers.com, LegacyFamilyTree.com, National Genealogical Society, New England Historic Genealogical Society, New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, your state or local society.  These organizations offer classes/workshops/conferences, journals/newsletters, and a community of like minded helpful individuals for support and ideas.  
  • DNA test kits for the entire family (Ancestry.com, MyHeritage.com, FamilyTreeDNA.com, 23andme.com)  Check the pricing and buy the lowest.
  • A promise you will not roll your eyes, sigh or look bored when your Genea excitedly begins to tell you about the most recent discovery.  That's the best gift ever and it's free!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cemetery Weather

  AI Generated Spring has sprung in the Midwest and last Saturday was the first cemetery walk of the year. The old cemetery in a small ...