Sunday, January 27, 2019

What's a Genealogist? Hint: It's not a Gynecologist


Recently on a beautiful spring (in Florida - the robins just returned so hang in there northerners) afternoon, family members invited me to go to lunch at a local cafe in our downtown area.  Because this was a spur of the moment invitation, I hadn't changed from my casual Saturday morning attire.  I was wearing my recent Christmas gift from my sister-in-law pictured above and a pair of jeans.
When our waitress, Melissa, who has given me permission to identify her and share this story, handed us the menus, I found her staring at my t-shirt.  She immediately asked, "Are you a gynecologist?"  My family burst out laughing.  "No," I replied, "I'm a genealogist."  Obviously, the way I was seated at the table Melissa could not clearly read my t-shirt.
Melissa asked what a genealogist did and I explained that I was like a family historian.  A family member added that I help people find their past.  I added, "For people who are adopted and want to know about their birth parents, I'd work with their DNA.  For everyone, I would search for old records and photos to help them prove a family story."  Melissa shook her head yes, she understood.
As we dined, Melissa returned to check on us several times; each time she had another genealogical question.
The word genealogy is derived from Greek meaning the study of generations.  It surprises me that in a study done in December 2018 in the U.S., 34% of the respondents could not name their grandparents.  I'm never bothered by people asking how to get information to help them discover their past so I wasn't bothered by Melissa's questions.  Research shows that genealogy is one of the largest hobbies and I'm happy to add more people who are interested. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I’m Heading Across the Pond Virtually! All About That Place 2026

  I’m delighted to share that I’ll be taking part in an international genealogy event this October with the Society of Genealogists’ Al...