Sunday, September 18, 2016

A New Way to Identify Name Variations

I was reading the article Guild of One-Name Studies Is Now Available at FamilySearch.org  in The Genealogy News recently and thought I'd  check out the database on Familysearch.  On a few lines, I trace everyone who has that name in the US in an attempt to make a connection across the pond.  Stop and read the article and then come back to my blog.
If you followed the articles link to Familysearch, (added here in case you didn't), and you enter a surname in the search field, you probably were disappointed.  I know I was!  I first added HARBAUGH and got links to everything but Guild Of One-Name Studies.  I know family historians, some quite renown, have traced the name back to a HARBO who was a court scribe in the 1200's in Denmark.  I expected to find that and more but all I got were records of Harbaughs.
I then typed in LEININGER and got lots of IGI records but nothing for the Guild of One-Name Studies.
Then it hit me!  On the left hand side, I should have scrolled down and filtered out everything but Guild of One-Name Studies.
I still got nothing for Harbaugh and Leininger but when I entered KOS I got Cass and Coss,
Next I tried KABLE and that's when it occurred to me - duh - this could be an innovative way to come up with surname variations!  My Kables were listed as Cable, Cabel, Kabel, Cobbold and Cabot.  I would have never come up with Cobbold and Cabot.
Next I tried DUER and got Dewhurst.  Now that was very interesting to me as I've been heavy into deeds and wills of my John Duer in Trumbull/Mahoning Counties, Ohio who died in 1831 after his son, Thomas, and I keep seeing Dewhurst in the records.  I pronounce Dewhurst as doo' herst but I guess it could be pronounced doo' ers.  Hmm.
We've all seen creatively spelled names, likely recorded from pronunciations, in records but I've never been really good at coming up with more than obvious variations.  I'm adding this tool to my genealogy tool box!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scan and Share

  AI Generated Recently I helped a community member scan old photos from the late 1800s to the 1950s, along with some school records, a...