Sunday, September 24, 2017

Amazing Info Found - The Net As a Beginning Tool

Life has returned to semi-normal after the recent hurricanes.  By semi, I mean the county still hasn't collected the debris, milk and gas aren't available everywhere and several parks remain closed due to damage.  When our power was out for several days, I limited my internet usage to conserve my cell phone battery.  It wasn't until I went to clean my spam filter for my website, Genealogyatheart, that I discovered a message from a distant cousin.  He had discovered my site and our connection through our great grandfather by simply Googling the last name.
I replied to his comment and he included one of his nieces on our messages. Between the 3 of us, family puzzles began to be solved quickly. In the past week, I discovered that my paternal grandparents had hosted a small family reunion at their farm in the 1960's.  My parent's divorce was finalized by that time so my mom knew nothing of the event.  Without my cousins input, I wouldn't have known about it, either.
That got my brain going about unidentified people on an old movie I had inherited from my father.  Hubby and I have had all our 8 mm films and VHS tapes professionally saved to a DVD.  (Side note:  If you think your VHS tapes aren't so old they need to be saved, think again.  The oldest VHS tape from 1984 was fading away while some of the 1950 movies looked as good as new).  The DVD contains still photos of some of the movies so hubby took those of the mystery people, along with another CD we had made of all the old family photos we had scanned years ago, and sent them off to both cousins for help in identifying these unknown folks.
We're fairly certain that the picture above is of my grandmother, Lola, and her older brother, Stanley.  Why?  I have the photo and they have the photo.  They are descended from Stanley and it was in their box of photos of his family.  My step mother had placed all the old photos in one box so I was never sure who any of my unlabeled people were.  Were they a Leininger, Landfair, Kuhn, Kable, Kettering, Bollenbacher, Adams or Duer?  I had tried the old Google Picassa facial recognition feature and it helped somewhat but I didn't have enough identified photos to have it match effectively.  
These cousins sent me a few other photos electronically over the past week to see if it would help but Picassa is no longer supported by Google and it kept freezing so no answers there! I'm hopeful they'll be able to match some of the photos on the CD to photos in their box so at least we can categorize by surname.
The cousin who initially contacted me stated their tale is that the family originated from Ireland and not Bavaria as my line recalled.  I tend to believe them for several reasons.  I've had another family member misidentified's country of origin as Germany instead of being born in the U.S.  Maria Duer Kuhn's death certificate states she was born in Germany but she was born in Ohio.  Her son was the informant.  Her husband was the one born in Germany.  It seems like my Great British ancestors assumed the German culture of those they married in Ohio.  Additional support for their story is that my DNA has a much higher likelihood of Great Britain then it does of German.  Further, Landfair is not a German surname.  When I questioned that years ago I was told that it probably had been changed from Lamphere.  Could be but no proof of that was ever discovered.
One of the cousins also has a copy of my great grandfather's funeral program which she will send me.  I've blogged about him previously - he's the gentleman who "accidentally fell from a platform" and there was a followup investigation a few months after his death resulting in additional paperwork after the death certificate.  The lesson there was make sure you get the complete records you request.
This gets me to the point of today's blog - there remains A LOT of additional information about your ancestors out there - in attics, basements and the brains of the living who recall the unrecorded stories past down.  The internet can help you get to those that hold the key you need but alone, the internet is not enough.  Reach out to long lost family and you just might discover the info you seek.  Happy Hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printing Your Family Tree From a Genealogy Subscription Site

 I received a great question from reader Molly a few weeks ago that I think many of you might benefit from. Are you frustrated with the cos...